The Cal Poly Amateur Radio Club holds quarterly FCC amateur radio licensing exam sessions through Laurel VEC. To receive announcements for the next testing session, email [email protected] and include your name, contact info, and desired license class (technician, general, extra). We also hold a “Ham Cram” one-day license class and test session every Fall.

Testing Resources

Technician Question Pool

General Question Pool

Extra Question Pool

Free Practice Tests & flashcards can be found at


No one may take an amateur exam for another person. It is essential that the VE Team checks a candidate’s identification (ID) before allowing the candidate to sit for an exam. The candidate must present a legal photo ID. This requirement is usually met with a driver’s license, but it can be a passport or other legal identification card with the candidate’s photo on it. For current Cal Poly Students/Faculty/Staff, your Polycard counts as ID!

When no photo ID is available, the candidate must present a Non-photo ID/Driver’s license , Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Birth Certificate, Minor’s work permit, school report card, school ID card or library card , Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or Postmarked envelope addressed to the person at their current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.

Effective February 17, 2015, the FCC no longer routinely issues paper license documents to Amateur Radio applicants and licensees. Your callsign will be posted here and you will be notified via email by the club when callsigns are posted. Your callsign will also be available on the ULS, here: